The Five Element Feng Shui Remedies For Classical Feng Shui
In Classical Feng Shui, the five elements or representations of the five elements are always used as remedies to enhance positive energies or to neutralize negative energies.
When using the five elements as remedies, the elements are chosen based on complex calculations based on factors such as the sitting direction of the building, the date of construction of the building, and the birth dates of the primary occupants of the building.
Other remedies are implemented for the purpose of altering, moderating or raising chi, to resolve imbalances, to improve chi circulation. These may be rearranging furniture, effective use of light, use of artwork and using color in specific ways.
The five elements are: water, wood, fire earth, and metal. Each element has a color, shape and a number association. When using an elemental remedy, it is always preferable to use the actual element. When this is not possible, you may use the color and shape of the element and the number associated with the element.
Black Sect Remedies
In Black Sect Feng Shui there are two primary types of remedies or cures:
Mundane remedies are adjustments that appeal to our logical mind, to our left side of our brain. They are simple things like re-arranging the furniture or accessories, adjusting with color, using various shapes and adjusting with the five elements, as well as taking away obstacles that block the natural flow of chi. When adjusting with the five elements, the choice of the balancing elements is based on what can be seen visually, not on the unseen energies that are present, as in the Flying Stars. The elements, their shapes, and colors do not always correspond to the cardinal directions and sub-directions because a compass reading is not taken to determine the actual directions.
Transcendental remedies are not logical in nature. These type of cures work in the unseen realms from which the visible reality is manifested. Because these cures work on the unseen level, they can transform the underlying chi of a situation that can result in transformation of the environmental energy that affects mind, body, emotions, and spirit, as well as life events. These types of cures are implemented by the client using conscious intention and doing a procedure called The Three Secrets Reinforcement. This is one of the spiritual aspects of Black Sect Feng Shui. It involves using your mind, body, and speech when setting your intention for a specific cure or remedy. Often these remedies are personally symbolic in nature or relate to the symbolism of a specific trigram of the Bagua.
It is very important that when you set your intention that you ask and see that it be for your highest good and the highest good of all concerned. Feng Shui is about creating balance and harmony, not about manipulating energy in such a way as to get what you want at the expense of another.
Symbolic Feng Shui Remedies
In my practice, I recommend using specific elemental remedies to offset the negative effects of specific invisible energies. These types of remedies are implemented on a yearly basis, as these negative energies change location in a home or building from year to year.
I also suggest using symbolic remedies because they can provide amazing results when placed with conscious intention. These types of remedies can be implemented whenever you wish, as there is no time factor involved.
I believe combining the correct elemental remedies with symbolic remedies and adjusting the energy with correct placement of forms to be the most comprehensive way of working with energy in the context of feng shui. Combined with environmental balancing techniques, you have the most holistic approach to working with the overall energy of a place.
Energizing or enhancing the various directions can be achieved by placing objects that symbolize the life aspect that a specific direction supports. These symbolic representations need to be personally meaningful to you. They do not have to be Chinese symbols, such as a three-legged frog with coins in its mouth, that some feel represents wealth or money. You could just as easily use coins or dollar bills in a beautiful dish, if that would be a meaningful symbol for wealth to you.
When placing these symbolic remedies, in their appropriate directions, they should be placed using conscious intention and using affirmations for their intended purpose. Having clear intention is a very powerful use of the mind. By using your mind to visualize that which you are choosing to experience in your life, along with speaking an affirmation that supports your intention and visualization, you empower the intent of the symbol. The symbol then continually works on both your conscious and unconscious mind.
You are then energetically drawing to you that which you desire. Energy follows thought. It is a basic metaphysical principle. This process can be done in a spiritual context, but it will also work outside of a spiritual context. This is also not part of traditional or classical feng shui. But when combined with feng shui, using symbols in this way is a very powerful catalyst for change.
Symbolic remedies may be implemented at any time, unlike elemental remedies that change from year to year.
Altering our feng shui does not change our basic nature. We all have our unique potentials for health, love and prosperity. The goal in applying this knowledge is to maximize those good things in life by removing or canceling those obstacles imposed on us by negative influences in the feng shui of our environment.
I have studied Black Sect Feng Shui, which uses metaphysical, as well as, practical methods to adjust chi in our environment. They teach that feng shui works on two levels: sying and yi. Sying involves the tangible and external elements, which are the things that you can see and feel, such as, land forms and building shapes. And, yi, when translated means, “wish” or “will”, involves the intangible or intuitive aspects of feng shui. I have also studied Taoist Esoteric Feng Shui, which also uses transcendental remedies.
At the other end of the spectrum, I have studied with feng shui teachers that are adamant against using any form or reference to religion or mysticism in the practice of feng shui. They teach that feng shui is a science and an art, which uses ancient formulae to calculate and analyze the energy of a site. They look at how chi is influenced by time and space in relation to the particular needs of the individuals living in the structures from a more pragmatic approach.
It is interesting to me that some teachers seem to have a limited view of the manner in which feng shui should be practiced, when the whole of feng shui comes under the auspicious of Chinese metaphysics and is rooted in Taoism which is one of the major philosophical and spiritual practices of ancient China. The entire system of Chinese astrology, numerology, and I Ching knowledge, as well as all compasses and mathematical calculations were derived from the teachings of the spiritual and philosophical masters of ancient China.
After many years of study and experience, I have developed an integrative approach to working with the subtle energies of a place by combining my broad base of feng shui knowledge and the art of spiritual dowsing. By utilizing this approach, I differ from other traditional or classically trained Feng Shui Practitioners.
At the same time, I would suggest that all systems of feng shui are intentionally driven to produce the changes that are required and desired. For each system to produce its best results, the assumptions of a particular discipline must be adhered to in order to achieve the expected results. This is just another way of saying that all of the different systems of feng shui can be effective.
The Directions – Related Life Aspects – Suggested Symbolic Remedies
The reason that colors and shapes are not specifically mentioned in the following suggested remedies is because you want to avoid any possible conflict with the elemental remedies that will be implemented from the Flying Stars calculations.
North Direction (1)
Career – This direction supports career, hobbies and natural skills. It supports what you do as opposed to how you want to be known or your reputation. It is your foundation.
You may want to enhance the North when:
• You want to stabilize your career
• You want to make any kind of change to your career or job
• You want a promotion
• You want to enhance your business and increase your income
Symbols that can be used in the North:
• Business cards or brochures of the company for which you desire to work
• Pictures or items that represent the new career that you desire to have
• Have nothing in the north that represents blocks or stagnation or that is broken.
Affirmation for North / Career
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is a successful and rewarding career in the field of ___________.
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is advancing in my career/job.
• I am expressing my creativity and natural talents in my work, which is also financially rewarding.
• I am grateful that I am attracting the perfect opportunities and circumstances to have the career/job that I love and that is financially rewarding.
• I know that the opportunities for success are coming to me in a balanced and harmonious manner, for my highest good and the highest good of all concerned. And for this I am truly grateful.
Marriage & Partnerships – This direction supports marriage, romantic relationships, and partnerships with others. This direction also supports the matriarch of the family.
You may wish to enhance this direction when:
• You want to improve your love relationship
• You want to attract a love relationship
• You want your partnership to flourish
Symbols that can be used in the Southwest:
• Pictures of you and your significant other (that represents happy times)
• Pictures of you and your anticipated partner (in silhouette)
• Pairs of objects, such as lovers, love birds, dolphins, and hearts
• Any symbols of love
Affirmation for Southwest
Love Relationships & Partnerships
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is a happy, healthy, loving relationship. My perfect partner is (name the qualities of your perfect partner).
• My husband/wife and I are experiencing a deeply loving and mutually respectful relationship, filled with good humor and passion.
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is having the perfect romantic partner. He/she is loving, playful, passionate, respectful and loyal. My love partner and I are connected in our minds, hearts, and spirits.
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is having a healthy, balanced, profitable business relationship with my partner.
• I know that my perfect partner comes to me in a balanced and harmonious manner, for my highest good and the highest good of all concerned. And for this I am truly grateful.
• Or, I am truly grateful for the loving relationship that I have.
• Or, I am truly grateful for the business relationship with _______, that is mutually rewarding.
Family & Health – This direction supports family and health.
You may wish to enhance the East when:
• You would like your relationship with relatives to improve and be harmonious
• You want your family to be healthy
• You want to improve your physical and emotional health
Symbols that can be used in the East:
• Pictures of the family (in happy times)
• Pictures representing healthy bodies
• Pictures/art representing families at picnics, or celebrations
• Other symbols that have a personal association for health and family, such as mementos and awards
Affirmations for East
Family & Health
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is perfect health in mind, body and spirit for myself. I see my family healthy and happy. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is a happy, harmonious, healthy relationship with my family. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I know that I am experiencing greater health in all areas of my life in a balanced and harmonious manner for my highest good. And for this I am truly grateful.
Wealth & Prosperity – The energy in this direction supports wealth, prosperity and abundance.
You may wish to enhance the Southeast when:
• You want to generate more money in your life or your Business
• You would like to have more abundance and prosperity in your life
Symbols that can be used in the Southeast:
• Pictures of things that represent wealth to you
• Items that are beautiful and are expensive that represent abundance and wealth to you
• This is a good direction to have symbols that represent the abundant, universal supply from the Creator.
Affirmations for Southeast
Wealth & Prosperity
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which are wealth, prosperity and an abundance of every good thing. I now see myself having financial security. I see myself in a position to help and be of service to others.
• I know that my wealth, prosperity, and abundance come to me in a balanced and harmonious manner, for my highest good and the highest good of all concerned. And for this I am truly grateful.
The Center serves to balance and harmonize all of the other areas of the bagua or pa kua and it oversees all of the other issues of life situations that are not represented in the other eight guas. Therefore it also addresses health. Good health is the result of all areas of your life being in balance.
You may wish to enhance the Center when:
• You want to balance and harmonize all aspects of your life
• You want to feel centered and connected to your spiritual source
Symbols that can be used in the Center
• Items that represent the sacred
• Items that represent balance, like a yin yang symbol
• A small, round faceted crystal, placed with positive intention for balance, harmony, and health for the entire environment
Affirmations for Center
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is balance and harmony in all areas of my life, including my perfect health, mentally, physically, and spiritually. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see everyone getting along with each other, being happy and productive. And for this I am truly grateful.
Helpful People & Travel – This direction supports having an abundance of Helpful People in your life to assist you whenever you need people help. It also supports travel. It also supports the patriarch of the family or the owner of a business.
You may wish to enhance this area when:
• You want to attract more mentors, clients, customers, employees, and friends
• You would like to feel more connected to having spiritual assistance, the ultimate source for Helpful People
• You want to travel
Symbols that can be used for the Northwest:
• Pictures or items that represent teachers, mentors, benefactors, clients, customers, employees that you want to either attract into your life
• Items that have a strong, personal association to your spiritual or religious beliefs, such as angels, saints, etc.
• Brochures or flags of the countries where you wish to travel
Affirmations for Northwest
Helpful People & Travel
• I accept that which I choose to experience in my life, which is having an abundance of Helpful People to help me whenever the need arises. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself traveling to ________ and enjoying myself completely. And for this I am truly grateful.
Children, Creativity – This direction supports children, creativity, inspiration, writing, giving birth to new ideas, writing and the arts.
You may wish to enhance this area when:
• You want to enhance the overall well-being, health, creativity, academic achievement for your children
• You want to have children
• You want to be more creative in a particular field or in general
Symbols that can be used in the West:
• Pictures of your children
• Posters, paintings, of children in general
• Baby pictures and things that represent young children
• Things that represent your creative talents such as books, writing tablets, art supplies, sheets of music, etc.
Affirmations for the West
Children & Creativity
• I see my child(ren) living their lives to their fullest potential, being healthy, creative, and expressing their natural talents and skills. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself having a child and experiencing the joys of motherhood. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself easily expressing my creativity in many ways. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself opening to experience my creative energies in new and exciting ways. And for this I am truly grateful.
Knowledge & Self-cultivation – This direction supports one’s ability to acquire academic or technical knowledge. It also supports self contemplation and personal growth.
You may wish to enhance the Northeast when:
• You are a student of any subject
• You are in counseling or any kind of self growth activity
• You want to feel grounded, stable and peaceful
Symbols that can be used in the Northeast:
• Books, tapes and other materials currently being studied
• Posters, paintings, of quiet, contemplative places
• Items pertaining to meditation and contemplation
Affirmations for Northeast
Knowledge & Self-cultivation
• I see myself constantly learning, which is easy and enjoyable. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself continually growing in greater self-awareness and expanding my consciousness. And for this I am truly grateful.
Reputation & Fame – This direction supports how you will be perceived in the world by other people. It supports your reputation. It is here that you can affirm your qualities of character, such as being loving, kind, generous, helpful, etc.; letting your inner light shine. You can also affirm your talents in the field in which you work, such as being a great salesperson, being appreciated by your boss and your peers, being acknowledged for your efforts, etc.
You may wish to enhance the South when:
• You would like to be well known for something you do
• You want to establish a good reputation in your workplace or community where you live
• You want more recognition at work or at home
• You want to be known as a good, loyal friend and co-worker
Symbols that can be used to enhance the South:
• A picture of yourself that you really like
• Things that have a personal association with recognition and achievement, like awards, trophies, diplomas, commendations
Affirmations for South
Reputation & Fame
• I see myself being respected and appreciated for the work that I do. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself being acknowledged for my skills, talents, and accomplishments. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself being acknowledged by other for being a loving and caring wife/husband. And for this I am truly grateful.
• I see myself as intelligent, talented, honest, worthy, and beautiful inside and outside. And for this I am truly grateful.
Cities We Serve:
Houston Dallas Austin San Antonio San Diego Los Angeles La Jolla Sant Monica San Francisco Denver Atlanta